Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Family Gatherings

I am the type of person who loves his food and I feel like a big part of that has to do with my family and their love to cook food. Most of my food memories have happened mainly on the DuPre side, which would be my fathers’ side. You could say pretty much every women can cook and a good cook at that and I mean that in the best way possible.

It all started with my Grandma DuPre ever since I was little most of my memories of her are of her in the kitchen always cooking for us and homemade at that. When I was real little it is basically what I saw her doing and she did a big portion of it on her own. I mean this woman made every dish and I am leaving out one big part of that she made it for twenty-three of us. She had six of her own kids, then they all had their spouses and then she had the grandkids. So you could only imagine the feast my grandma would make and it all was homemade. She would do this for every single holiday from Christmas to mothers day, no matter what everyone would come in for the day, thankfully we all are only about three hours away at the most so it usually was not that hard. The meals usually included a meat both light and dark turkey, two types of potatoes, your greens from green beans to salad, corn, broccoli salad, gravy, beats, she had it all and if you wanted it all you had to do was kindly request it and more than likely you would see it at the next gathering. Then as grandma did start to get a little older she started dedicating certain choirs to certain people. You could say my aunt jenny was next in charge in the kitchen and that is probably because she is an amazing cook, not going to lie she is giving grandma a run for her money. Aunt Jenny’s dishes were just a little different I guess, you could say a little more fancier and maybe even a little more flavor, very delicious everyone loved it. She was mainly in charge for all the cooking done inside, but when it came to grilling nobody could beat aunt martys grilling. Most of you are thinking grilling that is usually a mans domain but not at all aunt Marty owned the grill. I do not know how she did it but everything she made on that grill just had a better taste better than any other grilling I have had. Her specialty would probably be steaks, bbq chicken and burgers. I know your thinking it cant be that hard to make those to things and your right it is not that hard, but it was the way she executed them they were just better than anybody else’s we will just put it that way. The steaks she makes are just hands down the best. I have never had a steak anywhere I have been at that could even hold a candle to her steaks. All these meals are usually big family meals with my dads’ side of the family and to me it is some of the best cooking I have ever had. I have enjoyed their cooking so much it has actually motivated me to get their recipes and try to imitate them on my own at college and I am not afraid to say I’m not as good as them yet but I am on my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment