Thursday, July 22, 2010

Malcom X

1. Who or what motivated Malcolm X to begin his studies?

Malcolm X was motivated by Elijah Muhammad.

2. What did Malcolm X do to increase his vocabulary?

To increase his vocabulary Malcolm X began reading the dictionary.

3. This piece is sometimes printed under the title “Prison Studies”; what’s the difference between

the initial responses a reader might have for an essay called “Homemade Education” vs. one

entitled “Prison Studies”?

To me I feel like someone might feel more obligated to look at something titled Homemade Education rather than one titled Prison studies just because of the fact when you think of prison you do not think of someone intelligent. You usually just think of a dumb criminal that does not listen to authority.

4. What are the different ways someone might react to the term “homemade”? What does the

word mean to you, in terms of the way you were raised? (think food, clothes, or family

projects…both positive and negative)

To me some different ways people might react to homemade would be cheap and not the best that is to me what I think a lot of people would view it as. To me and the way I was raised I actually see it smart, because you can usually make what you want how you want for cheaper. To me if you can make it homemade and your happy that is all that matters.

5. At the end of the essay, Malcolm X states that even though he was in prison, he “had never

been so truly free.” What do you think he means by this…how is this possible?

I feel like he means yes he is in prison, but that doesn't mean he can not accomplish things. Look what he did he taught his self how to read and right and become a respectable person in prison and you never know what might have happened to him if he wouldn't have got sent to prison. That is why everything happens for a reason and he feels so free.

No comments:

Post a Comment