Thursday, August 12, 2010

“How Do We Find the Student…?” Response Questions

1. This essay appeared in The Chronicle of Higher Education, a weekly publication for college

and university professors and administrators. How do you think this audience influenced Baker’s

analysis of types of students? What about his tone and language?

I think writing for a college magazine that is mainly read by professor and administrators influenced him greatly to write about this. I think his tone is a more serious one but at the same time also kind of laid back to.

2. Baker deliberately creates, rather than avoids, stereotypes to establish exaggerated

representatives of types…do you think his classifications are fair? Do they accurately reflect the

whole spectrum of students? Why or why not?

I think his stereotypes are all very close and we all could understand who he was talking about and yes it is very fair. I feel like it does reflect the spectrum of students very accurately I could picture someone for every type he described. I thought he was very on point.

3. This article was published in 1982: How well have Baker’s classifications held up to present

conditions? How closely do they mirror the student population at USI? Explain your answer.

I think Baker is still very on point with his types of people. I think he hit a type for at every college. I feel every college as the same type of kids we just don't really think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment