Tuesday, August 3, 2010

"On Fire" Blog

My job last summer was a job that was a very good life lesson. There are many reasons for why I am saying that it was a good life lesson to work were I did last summer. I will go into detail about the people I worked with and what my job entailed.

My job last summer was actually a factory job. The factory I worked for this past summer was called ATTC also known as Aisin Takaoka Tell City. This is a Japanese company that makes Toyota products for all kinds of cars. The mainly make rotors for cars and truck such as the Lexus, tundra, camery, forerunners, and the corolla are just a few. You might think there were a lot of Japanese but actually there were very few, basically the only ones were the guys that were high up and they mainly just walked around and made sure you were not goofing off. They also would fix the machines if they were having technical problems. My first day of work was of course a scary one. I had never worked in any place like this before I had only worked for mainly family friends so it was a little different. it did help that a couple of my buddies also happened to get hired at the same place, so it was not as scary having them there with me in the same position. Our first three days were training so we sat in the training area that they actually called the dojo, which I thought was pretty cool. We went through a lot of basic stuff that you already knew but also went through some stuff that we knew nothing about. The stuff we knew nothing about actually delt with our jobs in a big way. My job at the factory was inspector. I am sure you are thinking an inspector at a factory, don’t they need to be around for a while and know what exactly to look for and the answer is yes and no. My job entailed me inspector every rotor for the new Toyota tundra’s and four runners. These parts were very big ones. I would say each part weighed anywhere from ten to thirty pounds and yes that does not sound like a lot but think about lifting that all day with only upper body mainly back and arms. As an inspector I had a certain way to inspect every part and for every new tub i would do a detailed inspection of one rotor. I actually got lucky and ended up working with a great group of guys. You worked with four younger guys who were all pretty laid back and very easy to get along with. One was pretty lazy, but a great guy. Any free time he had he would come talk to you. He would ask how was your weekend and then proceed to ask for details. He then would tell you about his weekend. You can only imagine some type of people who worked here. I mean it was a very nice factory, but like any work place you had your characters and he was one of them. He actually was a recovering drug addict but you would not be able to tell it other than his fake teeth, which you could not tell unless he would pop them out. You could say they all kept me pretty entertained, but we still got the jobs done. We actually worked twelve’s so we all got our fair share of bonding. They all would ask me how I liked it and I would always answer it is a great learning experience and they would all laugh and tell me to stay and school and never come back here. I really do believe that factory was a very reliable work experience and that job very much so made me want to hit the books hard. I can honestly say by working at that factory for one summer I do not plan on working anywhere like that every again not that I am above doing that I just don’t feel it is for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment