Friday, August 13, 2010

"Mother Tongue" Blog

Nowadays we have slang for just about everything in the United States of America. That is probably why English is one of the hardier languages to learn. We are just lazy and we shorten a lot of things and maybe its not just lazy maybe it is we just try to find the shortest and quickest ways to get our point across. I feel like either way that is a big reason English is hard to learn.

Even though English is one of the hardiest languages to learn I feel like more people try to learn it more so then us Americans try to learn other cultures languages. I think most Americans think that everyone should just speak our language and that is not right. One thing that I noticed we use a lot of slang in is our sports we shorten everything in our sports. Just look for example at every professional sport can be described in just three letters and most people know exactly what sport your talking about. I am not sure if this is clever or just lazy of us.

Take basketball for example, so much slang is used during basketball it is not funny. It is not even the basics of basketball that use slang it is more the mouthing the players use. Such as when you go up for a lay up and get blocked some people like to say not in my house and I feel like if this was someone not familiar with our slang they would be severely confused. They would probably just stop stare at you and be offended. What not in my house no I am not in your house we are at the gym, I feel like that is what would be running in there head in fact I know that what they would be thinking I have seen the looks on foreigners faces when that situation has happened. Some other slang we use in basketball include such sayings as “you cant guard me get off me” and there are tons of others and I just feel like all these comments would greatly confuse someone who is not from the united states.

Football is another sport that uses a lot of slang and jargon in the sport. Not many other countries even have football, so these is something very hard for foreigners to understand just simple cause there not familiar with it and then we as our slang and it just makes it near impossible for people who are not from the united states to understand. One big thing that I would see very confusing for outsiders would be the quarterback and his cadence. I feel like they would just be shocked and maybe offended when hearing him shout of his reads and checks. Just a simple hut hut hike might even confuse them. If the could even make out what he says they would be like what a hut were? I am not sure about the assumptions but I just feel like they would definitely need a guide to understand what was going on. I would definitely not let a colts game be the one to teach them about Peyton Manning has so many audibles they would not know what to think. On a side not the man is a genius he says the most random stuff that Americans don’t even understand the only people who know what the man is saying is his own team, which works out perfectly for him. That of course is just a side note, now back to topic. They also would be very confused by the mouthing if they actually attempted to play a real game of football. When somebody puts a get hit on somebody they simple stand over him and tell him to stay down. I feel like if this happened to a outsider they would probably look and the ref and be confused and wonder if they were actually suppose to stay laying there. It all is just very confusing. You sometimes here a lot of the receivers and defensive backs doing a lot of the mouthing. They say certain things like “all day baby all day” meaning what ever they did that was good is going to go on throughout the game not literally all day.

That is just a brief description of my hobbies and there jargon. They definitely have a lot more to them then that and someone who has not grown up around the stuff would definitely need a good guide to figure it out and it would be even better if they could find someone who would personally help them. This all is why it is very hard to understand and be fluent in the English language.

No comments:

Post a Comment